Saturday, April 25, 2015

Big and Small and Small and Big...My Weight

As promised, here my story goes with my weight issues. My weight struggle started actually before I was diagnosed with Graves Disease and Hyperthyroidism. As a child, I was super cute, but super chubby :)

Then as I lost the baby fat, I was a slender awkward preteen. Then, due to all the drinking as a teenager, gained some extra pounds, that turned out was hard to lose. Her I am at graduation. 


Then as if magically, after I had my oldest children...the weight seemed to melt off me. I was stick thin. The thinnest ever. I was down from 160 pounds at graduation to 106 pounds. The weight was so drastic, it prompted my doctors to run some tests to see if there was a thyroid issue. I past all the tests with flying colors. No explanation, I was just happy to be thin. Sure it came back, but my new normal appeared to be around 130 pounds give or take 5 pounds a year in my twenties. Here I am the year I was diagnosed in 2010/2011. 


And now hold onto to your hats, because in just a year and a half I gained the most weight I had ever gained (not pregnant)...I now weighed just under 180 pounds!!!


I know!! Shocking!

I did everything to lose this weight. I counted calories and went to the gym with my husband Dale. He was losing, and I was actually finding myself gaining weight after our workouts together. Dale would leave saying, "I am down another four pounds!!" I was up four pounds. I was frustrated, and no matter how much I wanted to feel happy for him (Because I was incredibly proud of him), I found myself more and more depressed and frustrated. So I quit going to the gym. I quit counting calories, I was done. I had to mentally prepare myself to be happy in my new body. This was such a struggle for me, who once gloated I could fit into my twelve year old girls size 16 (little girls) pants. I was to be doomed to be heavy and had to find a way to deal with it. Like it or not. 

I then got my thyroid out in January 2014. It was about two or three months after my surgery the weight started slowly coming off. I am now proud to say that I weigh around my normal 140 pounds. give or take a pound or two by weighing morning or night. I am excited to try to start working out again and being healthy...but what a journey, what a roller coaster for sure!! I am at that point, where I am happy in my skin again, and who cares if I work out and it doesn't produce results...at least I will be doing my best and taking my meds. My therapist suggest gluten free, lactose free diets. She also says to go hiking with Dale and get out there and walk with him. I am not sure about diets, I am still learning, but will keep you posted on what I find out and what starts working for me. Thanks for reading, and sorry it has been so long since my last post. So much has happened....I have so much to catch you all up on!!! Take care my friends! Stay safe and happy!



No comments:

Post a Comment