Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Itchy, Dry and Bald Spots...OH MY!

Let me start by saying in the last post, I don't know where I am now...Currently I feel I am somewhere in between with my weight. I gave up trying to figure it out. Right now I am happy just staying happy. Happy just trying to maintain a balance in my moods, health, and overall wellness. My profile pic and surgery photos, pretty much say it all about my CURRENT status.


Growing up and in middle school/High school, I never really put much thought into my skin and hair.  Other than trying not to get picked on in middle school for having greasy short hair with over grown bangs that is. Pretty much as a child I had stick-straight locks, that if I went without washing every single night would turn into a mess of greasiness...OH the years of sweet adolescence!! My face went thru breakouts, some weeks were worse than others, I had terrible skin throughout school. So yeah, trying not to get picked on and hide behind others was a daily struggle. Blending in with scenery was hard most days, cuz my problem seemed to hit before all the other kids did...so here I was a broken out fury of zits while all my peers still had smooth baby-glowin' complexions....yay me.

It wasn't until ninth or tenth grade I began to clear up a bit, with only an occasional breakout. I maintained my oily skin with a heavy layer of powder and this helped my self esteem. I also tried to keep up with my showers and started growing out my hair. I found that if I permed it, it helped with the oiliness, and gave me a softer less harsh look. Pretty soon I blended in pretty well in my high school surroundings. I wasn't much more than average looking to say the least, I admired those girls in school who could spend five minutes in the mornings getting around and look amazingly beautiful. It took me about an hour just to look presentable.

I then had kids, and found my hair growing and chose to experiment a bit with different looks. Once I even bleached my hair a nice tonka-truck blonde and raced to the store to buy some brown to tone down the nice orange aura I had created for myself. I would change it up, go from short to long, and always seemed to have pretty nice hair, despite the abuses I put it thru.

After being diagnosed, all hell broke loose on my hair, nails, and skin. Holy Heck did it ever!! At the time, I had really long hair. I started taking my meds daily, we were also living in a new double wide that held a really nice sized tub in the master bathroom, so I would often take nice hot baths daily, instead of just jumping in the shower.

Soon, after washing my hair, I would sit in the bathroom covered in my own long locks. Literally COVERED from head to toe. My hair was falling out. I could sit there and pick out all the hairs floating at the top of my bath water and off my legs and arms for twenty minutes and still not get them all out. I then would dry myself off, pick off more hairs to lotion, wrap my head in a towel and get dressed. Then began combing out my hair. My brush would have a big huge gob of my hair, so I cleaned out the brush with my hand and threw it in the trash. Goodbye hair.  After that, I would have to take my fingers and run it thru again just to get out the loose ones that still hanged all over from the comb-out, throw them in the trash and pick off my shirt (front and back). This was a daily routine.

Forget blow drying...I found if I blew my hair dry, it would be so dry by the end of it, I couldn't find enough hair oil to get it to look normal. I GIVE UP. So air drying would have to do, this would become my new habit. Some would find it embarrassing to go out in public with still wet hair, not me...embarrassing would be to go out someplace and have my tumbleweed hair. Most stylist even assumed that I was over dying my hair. So NOT the case. I found myself having to explain to everyone who came in contact with my hair to pardon the dryness, but I have GRAVES. Then I would have to explain to most...because they never heard of it.

Embarrassing to me most of the time, was cooking, cleaning, or being in public and having my hair fall over the place. In food, on them, on chairs I would sit in, what a mess.

Long story short, I cut it all off.

My nails, have always been dry, but I have found that they are dryer now and flake off easily. Like the top layer...so no manicures for me. I really don't feel like having to explain, yet again to another professional...why Jenn is such a mess. I will just lotion up everyday, paint them myself, and deal with it.

My skin is now very dry. Especially my legs. Most of the time I itch so bad they bleed, so summertime shorts are out of the question, unless I have been very generous with the lotion. My face is patchy, it varies so much from dry to oily, I give up and just use soap. If I use anything other than that I get flaky spots on my nose, around my nose, under me eyes, and on my cheekbones. So I try to keep it minimal. I don't dare use moisturizer, or I would be sure to get zits like nobodies business.

So there you have it. I have avoided being bald, literally cried over my hair while sitting in the tub, and sometimes look like a leper. I envy those days I took those things for granted. I also wish that more stylists and professionals in the field were more knowledgeable about those things. For now, I will say good bye for today....tomorrow I will talk about weight. Enjoy your day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment